Friday 4 July 2008

STRANGERS ON A TRAIN


Stranger on a Train
Directed Alfred Hitchcock
1951
Warners DVD




I'd only ever seen this film once before and that was on TV when I was a kid as part of an Hitchcock season that BBC2 were showing many many years ago. I was pleased to see it on DVD and I felt it was ripe to be re investigated.

Raymond Chandler is credited with the script but in truth Hitch wasn't pleased with the draft and had Czenzi Ormonde rework it. The script is jointly credited but Chandler said in a number of interviews that the finished film did not resemble the script he wrote. In fact the writer and Hitchcock actively disliked each other - Chandler was particularly grieved with the fact that his ending, depicting Bruno in a asylum wearing a straitjacket was dropped, in favour of the thrilling Merry Go Round scene. It's a wonderful exciting scene and its difficult to imagine that Chandler's alternative would have been better.

Watching the film today is a joy - it's lost none of its charm and given the modern mind set Bruno's homosexual leanings seem all the more obvious. The fast pace surprised me and the film doesn't drag at all -every time Robert Walker is on the screen a certain magic takes place. This is still a great thriller and is a strong example of the director's mastery of pace and suspense. And his ability to get remarkable performances out of his actors. He's also the only director I know who could make a tennis match as thrilling as anything seen on the screen.

The DVD issue contains 2 versions of the film. The original Hollywood theatrical cut and an extended European Version. I must say I prefer the original version though it is interesting to see the few extra scenes in the European version where Bruno's insanity is much more psychotic.

I'm not a professional film critic but as an avid viewer I think it is my place to say - this is a brilliant film, at times comedic, often disturbing and wonderful from start to finish.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Ah, your first review. I enjoyed reading this one and concur on the greatness of Strangers on a Train. Interestingly, the first time I ever heard of it was on the audio adaptation of Louis L'Amour's "Unguarded Moment." If you don't have that, GET IT! It is my favorite story ever, especially the way Beau L'Amour and company adapted the original.

VAPING IS SAFER THAN BREATHING

 The UK's new tax on vaping which will come into force in 2026 is not only immoral but patently insane, and will hit those reformed smok...