Saturday 22 August 2009

Son of Texas


Sons of Texas was my introduction to Elmer Kelton - as soon as I'd read the first page I knew that I liked this writer. The characters, particularly that of Michael became so real to me that I became involved with the story on a deep emotional level - the sign of a very good storyteller indeed. Since then I've read maybe a dozen of his titles, most recently Six Bits a Day, and haven't found a weak title among them. Mr. Kelton's work has that special something that grabs the reader from the first line and refuses to let go till the tale is told. He was the natural successor to Louis L'amour and indeed many people feel that he was in fact better than L'amour. It was Kelton after all who the Western Writers of America voted the best western writer of all time.


His works are rich in period detail but to my mind his greatest strength is his characters. They become real people to the readers and act realistically so any events seem natural and not merely a device to push the plot forward.

Mr Kelton has left an impressive body of work behind so in many ways he can never truly die, his work is out there full of living breathing characters. And will always be there as long as people have a need for rich exciting stories.







Mr. Kelton was born in 1926. His formative years were spent on a ranch. The western lifestyle was in his blood, even if he was more comfortable sat before a typewriter than on a horse. He served with honours in World War II. He spent his army life in Europe during the worse of the hostilities.

In 1947 Elmer married Anna Lip of Austria. He became an agricultural journalist for the San Angelo Standard Times in 1949. Elmer started to sell stories to the pulp magazines and for some time he balanced the journalism jobs with freelance fiction work.

All in all Elmer wrote over forty books. He has won multiple Spur awards and was voted the best western writer of all time by The Western Writers of America.

Mr. Kelton had been ill for some time but had seemed to be making recovery. However he passed away early yesterday morning.

7 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I've enjoyed the Keaton I've read but need to get more

David Werst said...

Thanks for your comments on Elmer Kelton, a true son of Texas himself. He was a personal friend to many of us and a gentleman. I will be at his funeral and give my condolences to hos son Steve in person....
David Werst
http://RealTexasblog.com

Jake Murdock said...

"Sons of Texas" definitely is one of my favorites by Kelton. The opening paragraph is one of the best that I ever read in a Western novel.

Gary Dobbs/Jack Martin said...

Sons of Texas immediately grabbed me and I've been a fan ever since. I've not read all his books as yet but I will do, just as soon as I track them down.

Laurie Powers said...

Now I'm convinced that I will be getting Sons of Texas with my amazon gift card I got for my birthday.

Gary Dobbs/Jack Martin said...

Laurie - Sons of Texas as well as an exciting western adventure is a family saga too. There are some heart-warming moments - you'll love it.

D.M. McGowan said...

It's sad when the great ones we depend on are no longer there for us.
However, this great entertainer certainly deserves his rest.
As it happens, I'm reading one of his now ..."The Good Old Boys."
Dave
www.dmmcgowan.blogspot.com

VAPING IS SAFER THAN BREATHING

 The UK's new tax on vaping which will come into force in 2026 is not only immoral but patently insane, and will hit those reformed smok...