Friday 13 November 2009

Sherlock Holmes - Guy Ritchie goes mainstream

"I've spent too much time messing around in inaccessible, esoteric material," Guy Ritchie told Entertainment Weekly. "I've never had my day in popular court. 'Holmes' will allow me to express my accessible side."

In other words Ritchie is desperate for a hit movie following an awful run of films - Revolver and the absolutely terrible Swept Away.

Meanwhile Robert Downey has revealed that he wore a ear piece for most of the film so that his lines could be fed him as he acted - "I was wearing an earpiece [to get fed dialogue]. I've tried it since on other movies, but it only works for Holmes because he's not thinking while he's talking. He already knows what he's going to say before he said it."

I'm certainly looking forward to the Holmes movie but I have mixed feelings - it certainly looks like an action packed movie from the trailers but it doesn't feel like the world of Sherlock Holmes. But I really rate Robery Downey has an actor, Jude Law too so maybe the film will be the rollercoaster Richie hopes -ahh well, time will tell.


HOLMES RELATED.
Tesco currently have the entire Jeremy Brett run of SHERLOCK HOLMES for £35. That's over 39 hours of quality television and Jeremy Brett is universally acclaimed as the best and most authentic Sherlock Holmes there has ever been. 16 discs - collecting together The Adventures, The Return of, The Memoirs and The Case Book.

Now that would make someone a wonderful Christmas present.

2 comments:

Lee Matthias said...

The new film looks to be designed for the super-hero crowd. It was drawn from a limited-run comic. But, it looks like the best version of that kind of thing it could be.

If anyone's interested, I've just released my Holmes pastiche, THE PANDORA PLAGUE, chronicling the first association of Holmes and magician Harry Houdini (http://www.pandoraplague.com/).

It is a contemporary-styled thriller disguised as a Holmes tale. But I went to great lengths to reproduce the Doyle style and to capture the time. Check it out!

Also, the only existing 5 episodes from the BBC Holmes series from the '60s is being released on DVD soon:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Sherlock-Holmes-The-Collection/12953

Lee Matthias

Gary Dobbs/Jack Martin said...

Thanks for the info Lee - is that the Cushing series - I've got a couple of BBC DVD'S OF That one.

VAPING IS SAFER THAN BREATHING

 The UK's new tax on vaping which will come into force in 2026 is not only immoral but patently insane, and will hit those reformed smok...