Monday 25 January 2010

CRIME TIME: SHERLOCK HOLMES

I wish I had this issue (book) when I chaired the recent Sherlock Holmes weekend - this issue comes from 2002 and is numbered 26 - a bumper issue, 208 pages, may of them dedicated to the great detective.

I love Crime Time but I missed this issue when it first came out. Edited by Barry Forshaw (I recently picked up a Sherlock Holmes pastiche, War of the Worlds because he praises it on the dust jacket.), the man responsible for the excellent Rough Guide to Crime Fiction. When it comes to fictional crime this man really know his onions, and with him at the wheel the reader knows that he'll steer them towards some insightful reading.

The issue is well worth seeking out - I got it off Amazon for 1p - mind you postage was £2.75 but still...bargain.

And speaking of Sherlock Holmes - I'm missing Borders and since it's gone tits up I've been unable to get my copies of Ellery Queen and Alfred Hitchcock. Tragic. Double tragic because the Jan issues features a story by our friend, Dave Lewis of Davy Crockett's Almanack, which is a Holmes pastiche. However every cloud and so on...I've not got a PDF of Dave's story and I'll b reading it this evening. So expect a review here for the next post.

And speaking of Dave - many of his reviews of Black Horse Western titles will be presented as part of the Black Horse Western Weekend on the Archive which kicks off this Friday.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

And speaking of Sherlock Holmes and Black Horse Westerns in the same breath, the Linford, large-print edition of last February's BHW Blast to Oblivion is out this month. It has a new cover by Michael Thomas -- a more fitting one than the original generic -- and you can see it at the end of the excerpt at http://chapokeefe.webs.com/bhebl . How the book was inspired by a Holmes novel is recounted at www.blackhorsewesterns.com/bhe13 . Its generous reception by Holmes societies on both sides of the Atlantic is covered in a brief at the same URL but /bhe14.

sd card said...

Brilliant take on a classic! Especially like that he incorporated a pub called The Punch Bowl - must love Guy Ritchie for it!

VAPING IS SAFER THAN BREATHING

 The UK's new tax on vaping which will come into force in 2026 is not only immoral but patently insane, and will hit those reformed smok...