Wednesday 21 April 2010

A Passion for Stories - Kelly Abell Interview

Author, Kelly Abell has always been writing in one form or another. As a child she jotted down stories on whatever piece of paper came to hand, publishing her first works in her school magazine. It wasn't until the millennium that Kelly started to seriously tackle novels - she kept waking up in the middle of the night with the characters in her mind.

Like most authors she's had her share of rejections before finding success.

Kelly is especially excited about her new relationship with Solstice Publishing of which she is Editor in Chief.

We will be looking at Solstice Publishing in a coming interview with Kelly, but for now we concentrate on Kelly's own writing.

I asked her what led her to write in the first place.

Hi Gary, Thanks for having me as a guest on your blog. I like they way you asked this question. A lot of times I am asked for my resume so to speak but I've not been asked what led me to write. I think true writers can't help but write. From the time I was 6 or 7 I kept a journal or diary. In middle school I started writing short stories. Finally in high school I wrote for a school magazine that was called Sketches. I think what led me to write was a passion for stories. I've always been an avid reader and I hate to finish a good book. I wanted to give that feeling to others. I just had a fan tell me that she couldn't sleep one night for reading my book. She just couldn't put it down. That's why I write. I think that is the highest compliment that can be given to me as a writer.

So what can newcomers expect from one of Kelly's books?

Depending which book you read of mine you will get different things, but one thing they all have in common are fast moving well paced plots. I think they will also experience compelling characters that they will fall in love with. My paranormal Haunted Destiny is edgy and scary, as well as moving and dramatic. My romantic suspense book Sealed In Lies is gripping and keeps you turning pages until the end. It is Book One in a series and look for Book Two Captured In Lies coming out in June.

I wonder if Kelly's writing reflects her own reading tastes?

This is a great question. I think it does. I like to read paranormals that deal with ghosts and spirits, as well as psychics. I also love the romantic suspense genre. From the time I was a tween and started reading Victoria Holt and Phyllis Whitney I've loved romantic suspense. I also read a lot of thriller authors like James Patterson. I think I learn something from every author I read. I think as far as writing goes I am influenced by a lot of writers. I really like Nora Roberts and her ability to make a character seem so real, as if you've known them for years. I really want my readers to connect with my characters. I also am inspired by Dean Koontz. Even if you don't like horror you should read his books. He is just a fabulous writer. The way he paints a scene with words...a true Picasso!


Kelly's website features many tips for wannabe writers out there. I wonder what is the single most important piece of advice she would give for novice writers?

The most important piece of advice I can give someone wanting to be a writer is write because you love doing it. Don't fall into the trap of writing to a formula or writing something you think people are going to pay to read. Write because you are in love with writing. Write because the stories just won't be silent any longer in your head. My son asked me a question recently and I had to really stop and think about it. He said, "Mom, do you love your readers?" At first I didn't really know what he meant by that, but now I think I do. I write because of the joy I can give my readers. I love to hear from a reader that one of my books kept them up all night because they couldn't put it down. To me that is the ultimate compliment. So writers, write because you love your readers and you want to write. The rest takes hard work but it will come.


Kelly also has a Facebook fan page and many writers, myself included, are realising the importance of social networking. But how important does Kelly see being web savvy in terms of social networking is
to the modern writer?

I believe social networking is important. I think it is a way for readers to be connected with writers in a way that was never possible before. Building a network with my writer friends helps me keep up with industry happenings that I would have to research otherwise. I find out about promotions, radio interviews, blogs like yours, Gary, and lots of other things through my Facebook. I also can keep in touch with my international friends, like you. I also think readers like to see the updates of what a writer is working on and the updates of statuses allow us to do that.

Finally I wonder what those Desert Island books would be for Kelly?

Oh boy! This is a tough one! I think my fiction work would be Black Beauty. That is one of my very favorite books from the time I was a child and I love that story. My reference work would be a How To Survive on a Deserted Island! With a chapter called 10 creative ways to eat a coconut! And the last book would be a journal so I could write about all the things that happen on the island and turn it into a best seller once I'm rescued! LOL.


When we next talk to Kelly we will be looking at the new publishing house Solstice, of which she is heavily involved. But for now we thank Kelly for her time and urge Archive readers to try one of her books.









1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great interview! I liked your answers to the desert island question. I couldn't have thought of a good answer.

VAPING IS SAFER THAN BREATHING

 The UK's new tax on vaping which will come into force in 2026 is not only immoral but patently insane, and will hit those reformed smok...