Thursday 10 June 2010

Clint Eastwood - Fantasy fan

I never knew this but Clint Eastwood recruited Frank Frazetta to paint the poster for "The Gauntlet," Eastwood's 1977 police thriller. Frazette of course is best known for his fantasy paintings many of which graced paperback covers, most notably many of the Conan books.

Checking on Wiki I found that the artist did a fair bit of work for Hollywood, including posters for What's new Pussycat and The Fearless Vampire Killers. So maybe Eastwood wasn't so much of a fantasy fan after all, - maybe he just wanted to look like Conan.

2 comments:

john sinclair said...

Actually Fritz did look like Clint - I have a picture in a magazine of the two of them together. I'll look it out when I get the chance. Another great fantasy artist passed today. Al Williamson, best known for his Flash Gordon and Empire Strikes Back strips, died yesterday at the age of 79.
He started off back in the EC days, and in fact was known to collaborate with Frank Frazetta.
Another master gone.
I hate this decade!

john sinclair said...

http://planetoftheabes.com/?p=877
Found a picture of the two of them together by Google
Not the one I wanted, but it'll do for now.

VAPING IS SAFER THAN BREATHING

 The UK's new tax on vaping which will come into force in 2026 is not only immoral but patently insane, and will hit those reformed smok...