Saturday 19 June 2010

World Cup 2010

Cameroon 1 Denmark 2
Ghana 1 Australia 1
Netherlands 1 Japan 0

The fan who burst into the England dressing room at the World Cup says he was looking for a toilet.

Pavlos Joseph told the Sunday Mirror he accidentally stumbled across the England players in Cape Town's Green Point stadium.

The incident took place following the team's 0-0 draw with Algeria on Friday.

Mr Joseph said he told David Beckham England fans had spent "a lot of money" to travel to South Africa and that the team's performance was "a disgrace".

Mr Joseph, a 32-year-old mortgage advisor from south-east London, said he had been waiting outside the stadium for his two cousins and their father, after the game.

After half an hour he decided to find a toilet, and said he was pointed in the direction of the players' tunnel by a steward. While wandering about the tunnel, he said, he suddenly found himself in the England dressing room.

He said: "David Beckham was directly in front of me. I noticed him in his grey suit. I wanted to make the most of this opportunity to tell him how frustrated us, his fans, are.

"I said to him 'David, we've spent a lot of money coming out here. That was a disgrace and what are you going to do about it?'

"He looked at me in surprise and stunned. He didn't know what to say.

"As he was about to say 'Who are you?' one of the Fifa officials came towards me and asked me that question. All the players were looking at each other and looking at myself.

"I said 'My name's Pavlos and I'm just looking for a toilet.'"

'No guards'

Mr Joseph said the Fifa official took him to the nearest toilet, which was in the main building of the ground in the public area, and that the two later exchanged business cards.

"I said to him 'That atmosphere in the dressing room was shocking'. And he said to me 'You should have been in there at half-time,' Mr Joseph added.

"No security guards at any point... had questioned me, stopped me or even attempted to arrest me."

David Beckham had earlier said the fan he spoke to "didn't comment on the performance, he walked in, said hello".

The former England captain, who is with the squad despite missing the tournament through injury, said: "The actual fan literally just walked in very casually and just said something to me and then walked out - there was no scuffle, there was no aggression at all."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Gary,
Thanks for the update on the England fan incident. I was wondering what the hell went on there. All I can say is that it was a good job that fan wasn't me -the dialogue may have been slightly different!
Regards,
Col

VAPING IS SAFER THAN BREATHING

 The UK's new tax on vaping which will come into force in 2026 is not only immoral but patently insane, and will hit those reformed smok...