Wednesday 7 July 2010

PAPERBACK COLLECTOR

Was a time when no-one collected paperbacks, preferring instead to go for the hardcovers and those elusive first editions - paperbacks, although existing from early in the 19th century, didn't really come into their own until the 1930's. The most notable publisher of early paperbacks was Alan Lane who launched the Penguin Books imprint in 1935 with ten reprint titles. And in the US Pocket Books was launched in 1939. Soon new books were being published as paperback originals which allowed publishers to take less of a financial risk on new writers. These paperbacks were much cheaper to produce than the bulky hardbacks.

From here the mass market paperback emerged - traditionally sold in newsagents and airports before bookshops started carrying the titles themselves. Mass market paperbacks are distinguished from hardbacks by the different business practices that publishers and booksellers apply to them. When booksellers note that books have been in stock for some time and have not sold, they may return them to the publisher for a refund or credit on future orders. However, in the case of mass market paperbacks, this "return" usually means stripping the front cover, returning that for credit, and pulping the book itself.

Paperbacks could have been invented for certain genres - westerns,mysteries,horror,thrillers were all made for cheap, slim volumes that could be devoured on the train, on the plane or even at home. The books are portable and easily slipped into a pocket or bag. One particular type of book that particularly benefited from paperbacks was the TV and movie tie-in novels with the format being flexible enough for the short shelf life expected. Paperbacks were also used to sell original novels that continued the stories of favourite TV or movie characters - the Star Trek series of novels is a very good example of this, even if these days some of the titles are published in hardback before going to paperback.

Paperbacks were not really designed to last and no one in the publishing business ever thought they could become collectable, the same attitude used to exist with the pulps and comic books, but these days paperbacks are hugely collectable and there are magazines, websites and even radio shows devoted to the hobby.

I myself collect mostly westerns and crime books but I'll often pick up any old paperback that appeals to me, maybe only because of the lewd cover image. Books by certain publishers are often collected and the early Pan's are much sought after. A modern publishing house worth collecting are the Hard Case Crime books - these are packaged in a vintage style and many of the titles are reprints of classic long out of print works. Those old Ace Doubles - two books, read one and then flip over and read another - are also very popular and often fetch high prices at book fairs and shows.


Many people only collect with the hope of making a fast buck, building up a collection in the hope of selling at a large profit at a later date. Financial gains never come into my way of thinking, though. Most of my collection is made up of authors I love to read. Though I must admit to some anal tendencies - for instance I collect Ian Fleming's Bond series and will buy duplicates if they have a different cover. I have several copies of each novel and one particular title, Dr No I have in ten different editions.

I also collect oddities, many of which I will never read such as Satan was a Lesbian - now I'll never read that...honest.

But is there anything better than rummaging about in a second-hand pile of books in the hope of turning up something special? The smell of old books is also enticing to the paperback fanatic and has led many person astray into a life of fervent paperback hunting. If you don't collect paperbacks and are thinking of doing so beware for it is an addiction that is hard to break. And if you do collect, what do you collect?

7 comments:

Cullen Gallagher said...

"Financial gains never come into my way of thinking, though. Most of my collection is made up of authors I love to read."

I'm the same way. If it is an author I really love (Fredric Brown, David Goodis), I might shell out more for a nice edition, but this is to complete a collection, not because I want to resell it anytime soon.

I also buy my books -- even the vintage copies -- to read them. I take real good care of them, keep them in bags, and won't crack the spine or open it very far. I also have a friend who specializes in repairing vintage paperbacks, so if I get a book in not-so-good condition I can take it to him to fix it up.

Gary Dobbs/Jack Martin said...

Hey Cullen - it would be great to do an email interview with this guy who repairs old paperbacks. That would make a great article.

Matthew P. Mayo said...

I love old paperbacks, and as a sort of personal challenge (and in an effort to be fiscally responsible), I try to spend as little as possible on them. Usually no more than a dollar each. And I've managed to collect thousands of lovely editions in this manner (especially Westerns!). I scored nearly one hundred vintage, mint Hallidays, Prathers, and Spillanes at a Goodwill store recently, all at fifty cents each. I'm not bragging, just excited. I can't wait to read them.

I don't usually care what condition they're in, though. I'm after the words inside. Plus, if they smell funny, so much the better.

But the absolute best thing about paperbacks is that one day, in some smelly little used bookstore (is there a better type?), some kid will shell out a buck or two for a beat-up paperback with my name on the cover. That's why I write!

Thanks, Gary. Great topic.

Cheers,
Matt

Ron Scheer said...

Great topic. Would like to hear more. I try not to collect anything, but someone recently bought me a paperback western from the 1960s. The price was still on it, and I was surprised that they'd paid 3 bucks for it.

Jerry House said...

Seems like no one's stepping up, Gary, so I'll bite the bullet and read Satan Was a Lesbian for you.

Gary Dobbs/Jack Martin said...

Jerry you are a brave man indeed!

Laurie Powers said...

I've always bought paperbacks if only because of budget constraints. When I could afford it I bought hardbacks. Now I buy paperbacks because of the weight factor (this coming from someone who has to move soon). If I'm looking at a book from a book collector's eye and the value of that book in the future, I buy the hardback - they are still the only books considered "collectible" in the long run.

VAPING IS SAFER THAN BREATHING

 The UK's new tax on vaping which will come into force in 2026 is not only immoral but patently insane, and will hit those reformed smok...