Thursday 29 September 2011

Missed the King

An Elvis on the seafront
More than 25,000 Elvis fans packed the tiny Welsh seaside town of Porthcawl for last weekend's Elvis festival.

I only got to go down there on the Sunday evening as I'd pulled extra shifts in work, but I'm reliably informed that the festival was the best and biggest yet. The Hi- Tide Inn's Elvis show alone featured over 50 Elvis impersonators- all of the town's hotels were fully booked and the streets of Porthcawl were filled with Elvis's - I saw a group of maybe twenty Elvis's walk past when I was there the Sunday evening, though I was too late to catch any of the shows. Though I did catch the tail end of some King inspired entertainment, and as always it was great fun.

Elvis impersonators Marc George and Juan Lozano, both of Merthyr Tydfil, performed over the course of the three-day festival.They became lifelong friends after discovering their mutual love of the King at an early age.

And another on the beach
Juan, 47, said: “The joy is always in the audience and never on the stage – they’re the wildest fans.”


Marc, 46, works as a security guard during the week and plays Elvis gigs at the weekends.
He became an Elvis fan at the age of seven after watching the King perform Burning Love on a Top of the Pops Christmas special. Marc performed almost 30 gigs across Porthcawl over the weekend.
He said: “We’re just wigs and music, but it’s the man who keeps living on.”



Next year I'm going to make sure I'm there for the entire weekend.

No comments:

VAPING IS SAFER THAN BREATHING

 The UK's new tax on vaping which will come into force in 2026 is not only immoral but patently insane, and will hit those reformed smok...