Monday 24 September 2012

What they say about the good old western

I was an actor and I knew the West. The opportunity that I had been waiting for years was knocking on my door. Rise or fall, sink or swim I had to make western pictures - William S. Hart

I ride into a place owing my own horse, saddle and bridle - Tom Mix

High Noon - is the most un-American thing I've ever seen in my life. The last thing in the picture is old Coop putting the Marshall's badge under his foot and stepping on it. I'll never regret having helped run Carl Foreman out of the country - John Wayne

God created men but Colonel Colt made them equal - Unknown

Cowboys are romantics, extreme romantics, and ninety nine out of a hundred of them are sentimental to the core. They are orientated to the past and face the present only under duress and even then with extreme reluctance - Larry McMurtry


Everyone wants to pronounce genres dead and then someone comes along with something new and changes everything - Clint Eastwood, L.A Times 1991

All who ever knew Billy will confess his cordial, polite and gentlemanly bearing invited confidence and promised protection. He ate, drank and laughed, rode and laughed, talked and laughed, fought and laughed and killed and laughed - Pat F. Garrett - The Authentic Life of Billy the Kid


Custer died for your sins - Indian bumper sticker

The western is one of the most vapid, infantile forms of art ever conceived by the brain of a Hollywood movie producer - Dwight Macdonald, The Miscellany

When in doubt make a western - John Ford


While literary men seem to have neglected their epic duties, the epic has been saved for us by the westerns (and) by of all places, Hollywood - Jorgie Luis Borges

I yam what I yam and that's all that I yam - Tom Mix

Wild Bill Williams, out next month so pre-order now - Jack Martin

No comments:

VAPING IS SAFER THAN BREATHING

 The UK's new tax on vaping which will come into force in 2026 is not only immoral but patently insane, and will hit those reformed smok...