Saturday 30 March 2013

Star Wars: Han goes solo

It's no real surprise that Disney would want to make the most of the Star Wars franchise and it is now confirmed that as well as the new Star Wars movie, there will also be Han Solo and Boba Fett standalone movies. Details are scarce but Disney have confirmed that the Han Solo movie will look at the younger character - let's hope Disney remember the western movies the original Star Wars was based upon, and that we get smoky cantinas, dustcoats flapping and blasters blasting.

I quite like Star Wars but wouldn't consider myself a major fan and so I have no issues with Disney now taking over the franchise -after all I've never considered George Lucus that hot -after all let's be honest the Star Wars franchise consists of one classic SF movie, The Empire Strikes Back, one enjoyable space pantomime  Star Wars itself and several action figure adverts - all of the other bloody movies.

Though there is no way to deny the vast impact Star Wars holds over popular culture, so the new movies will be hotly anticipated. I was twelve years old when the original Star Wars movie came out and I must have seen it in my local cinema at least twice a week for a fortnight - I can remember watching it on a Sunday afternoon and then hiding in the toilets until the next showing, but when I watch it now, as an adult, I can see how creaky and often downright childish it is. Still the movies (even Episode 1 which beats Plan 9 from Outer Space in the corny dialogue stakes) mean a lot to a great many people especially those with shares in action figure companies.

Bring it on Disney and may the profits be with you.....





1 comment:

David Cranmer said...

You know I use to love these movies, Gary. But I almost don't care what they do with the series anymore. The first three were superb. Next three were so-so. Young Han Solo? Yeah, what the hell, go for it, Lucas.

VAPING IS SAFER THAN BREATHING

 The UK's new tax on vaping which will come into force in 2026 is not only immoral but patently insane, and will hit those reformed smok...