Way back in 2014 Paul Weller said he would never again be involved in record store day because of the touts and Beatles producer Giles Martin hinted on Twitter that he wants to try and get this year's RSD release of Penny Lane/Strawberry Fields available for everyone.
“It’s such a shame because as you know I am a big supporter of independent record stores but the greedy touts making a fast buck off genuine fans is disgusting and goes against the whole philosophy of RSD. It only takes a few to spoil a wonderful concept for everyone else. Shame on those touts.” Paul Weller
Some stores said their regular customers felt alienated by the prices and the queues and now avoid RSD; some wished that any benefits could be spread across the whole year; others expressed a desire to opt out, but couldn’t afford to lose the sales; another said they had already opted out because they could no longer afford to buy stock in the first place.
This is how Record Store Days works:
Arrive at 4:00 AM on a blustery April morning and still not be the first in line.
- Incur the wrath of your line mates when you dare take a pee break in the nearest Starbucks or alley.
- Endure the stench of men who have not showered or likely left their parents’ basement in months.
- Get pushed around by hired goons and their extended family members who have no interest in talking about music, they have a list of items to buy for their eBay overlords and will kill you to get it.
- Once the doors open, get herded in like cattle and face the gauntlet of which part of the alphabet you hit first.
- Strain, hop, grope, beg and fight over access to plum bins.
- Decide what to spend your money on since there are hundreds of releases — and you already have one mortgage.
- Wait in line for another hour to pay while blocking every inch of aisle space from actual patrons of the store.
- Leave feeling exhausted and defeated yet superior to the hopeless schmoes still in line.
- Check eBay prices throughout the day to see if you are newly rich or a complete sucker.
just bought the exclusive strawberry fields forever/penny lane 7" reissue at 4x markup on ebay... fuck record store day Twitter user
There have also been reports on Twitter of record stores holding back on these special items and then selling them on eBay for a fortune...Record Store day has indeed become a disgrace. And fans are threatening to boycott physical record stores over the Record Store Day which is the opposite thing of what RSD was originally intended to do.
How can record store day help record shops when all the profits are made after sale on websites like eBay?