Monday 9 September 2013

Too old for latex


Iron Man 3 hits DVD today and I snapped up a copy this morning. This was one of the  superhero films I missed at the cinema, and although I enjoyed both previous Iron Man movies and loved The Avengers I think I'm getting tired of superhero movies. Either that or I'm getting too old for them - Man of Steel failed to excite me and for the most part I found it boring and the third Dark Knight movie, Dark Knight Rises I felt was deeply flawed. Those tacked on endings, all that bollocks about the auto-pilot, left a sour taste on what was otherwise  a brilliant superhero trilogy. Though in truth I don't think the Nolan Batman movies were really superhero movies at all, but rather dark crime thrillers that just happened to feature a man in a cape. So maybe the Dark Knight movies don't really count when talking about superhero movies.

The big news at the moment is that Superman and Batman are to team up in a movie and then after that Warners will make the long promised Justice League film... I'm underwhelmed by that and don't really give a toss. Mind you I'm not that bothered by the prospect of new Star Wars films either, so maybe I am turning into a grumpy old man after all.

I actually bought two DVD's today - Iron Man 3 and then the new Blu-Ray edition of The Treasures of Sierra Madre. I've seen Sierra Madre perhaps a dozen times and can't wait to watch the new Blu-Ray edition. And at the same time I don't think I could sit through The Man of Steel again.

So what is it? Am I a grumpy old man or is it the fact that Hollywood doesn't really make movies for grown ups these days? Whatever the reason I do suspect I'm too old for latex but I'm going to give Iron Man 3 a spin....expect a review here later this week, as well as a look at the new Blu-Ray of Treasures of the Sierra Madre.

 I expect Fred Dobbs will kick Tony Stark's arse.


2 comments:

Arun said...

I too did not like Man of Steel as well as Iron Man 3.

Perhaps, there have been one too many movies in the superhero genre.

B2B.

Davieboy said...

Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"

VAPING IS SAFER THAN BREATHING

 The UK's new tax on vaping which will come into force in 2026 is not only immoral but patently insane, and will hit those reformed smok...