Saturday 1 May 2010

That genre curse

For years, probably since time began, we've been slotting everything into neat little genres - that one's a thriller, that's a mystery, this is a post-modern experimental abstract narrative (hey, that sounds clever) and this is horror. In the book world author's have long been arguing that there should be no genres and everything should be marketed as general fiction. The thinking behind this is that someone may be prejudiced against a certain genre and yet would enjoy some titles marketed in the genre if only they tried them. And not only books - it's the same with films and music.

I can see the point in the argument - for instance I don't really like country music, finding it too sweet for me and yet I absolutely love Johnny Cash, Kris Kristofferson. Merle Haggard Ryan Adams, Don Williams and Willie Nelson and yet all these guys are marketed as country. Even though there is a world of difference between the bite of Johnny Cash and the whimper of say, Kenny Rogers. So maybe it's not country music I dislike but a certain type of country music.

Another example - you won't find me dead watching a romantic movie and yet because Clint's in it I watched Bridges of Madison County and loved it, old softie that I am. The same thing with the Eastwood directed Breezy about a love affair between different generations. But old squinty eyes is one thing and I still don't think I'll be trying Barbara Cartland any time soon.

Where is this all heading?

Well recently I was involved in a debate on a western fiction forum and many people were moaning that westerns should actually be marketed as historical fiction. Westerns, they said, were not taken seriously. And again that is largely a valid point but whilst some westerns could indeed qualify as historicals I wouldn't be comfortable if any of my westerns were called historicals. I could get away with the title, Americana maybe but not historicals. Maybe that's a good alternative genre title to western - "Americana literature", but then that's too pompous. And reminds me of the time they started marketing horror as dark fantasy and that fell flat on its face. Most readers of horror fiction found that a little too pompous. And besides my westerns already have a sub-genre of their own, Taffy Westerns.

So I guess we are stuck with genre titles and people will miss much good work because they have a dislike of that specific genre. I'm not particularly keen on science fiction and fantasy and yet I enjoy Phillip Dick, Michael Moorcock, Robert Howard and it's the same with horror, the majority of it I avoid but I'm a huge Stephen King, James Herbert and Clive Barker fan. I don't like cozy crimes and yet I dig a lot of Agatha Christie and admit to a weakness for Lord Peter Whimsey.

I guess my preferred genres are the westerns and harder edged crime writing, and yet I regularly enjoy writers such as Tom Sharpe (god know what genre he's in), Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaimen.

So what I propose is that Archive readers make a pledge to try a film, book, album whatever, outside of their usual genre, pick a genre that you think you hate. You never know you may be surprised and discover some great work that will stay with you for life, maybe even change the way you think. And if you wish email me a short review ( garydobbs@hotmail.co.uk) and I'll post it here on the Archive.

NUFF SAID!!!!!!!!!!

NEXT ON THE ARCHIVE - MAY SEES CLINT EASTWOOD CELEBRATE HIS 80TH BIRTHDAY AND THE ARCHIVE, BEING HUGE HUGE FANS OF THE MAN, ARE CELEBRATING THE LIFE OF OUR SECOND FAVOURITE AMERICAN WITH THE ARCHIVE EASTWOOD MONTH. 80 FOR 80 - THAT'S 80 EASTWOOD CENTRIC POSTS COMING UP.

Make his day and be here for the entire Eastwood month.


"This is the Tainted Archive, the most powerful blog in the world and will waste tons of your time. Now I'm not sure if you've read it all. So it's time to get reading, punk."


4 comments:

David Cranmer said...

That's how I got into Jazz. Went into Borders and snagged the only name in this music I knew, Miles Davis. I took the CD home and played it and absolutely hated it. But I kept listening and fifteen years later it is by far my favorite music.

Charles Gramlich said...

I constantly try new genres, new types of books, and I enjoy cross genre books a lot. I just never let the labels fool me too much, although I do pay attention to things that suggest that a book is purely a relationship book as opposed to having something else going for it. I very very rarely read a book that is just a relationship book.

Anonymous said...

Don Williams! The best ever!

Gary Dobbs/Jack Martin said...

Anon - over here in the UK it's not so easy to get country info, but I've realised I love the outlaw country movement. I just thought it was country with an edge.

VAPING IS SAFER THAN BREATHING

 The UK's new tax on vaping which will come into force in 2026 is not only immoral but patently insane, and will hit those reformed smok...