Thursday 15 July 2010

who do you write like

There's this great and fun writing analysis program HERE - you enter a section of your own writing and the tool analyses and claims to name the author your style most resembles. And so I entered a section from my WORK IN PROGRESS, the as yet untitled second Frank Parade novel and I was told I write like James Joyce - really, never read any Joyce.


I write like
James Joyce

I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!




I then tried the program again and this time entered text from my second Jack Martin western, Arkansas Smith and this time was told I write like Jonathan Swift.


I write like
Johathan Swift

I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!




I then decided to try it one more time and I entered a page from my novel The Tarnished Star and was told I write like Raymond Chandler - hey, I can live with that.


I write like
Raymond Chandler

I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!



Then for my final test I entered the opening paragraph of Raymond Chandler's, The Big Sleep and was once again told I write like James Joyce, or rather Chandler did so from the results of this analysis tool I'm more like Chandler than Chandler was.
LATER ON THE ARCHIVE PART TWO OF TERRY HARKNETT'S, WRITING WESTERNS

6 comments:

I.J. Parnham said...

This is clearly a very perceptive tool. I put in a paragraph from my next western and it reckoned I also write like James Joyce, which is a bit surprising as the paragraph started:

howdy gorth the bunpty lililvered bumping hottotrot leadledld bangtry and bangbangbangbang doblecrossisxxx varmintertnimrav whe sunlightering lowedguess oer sweptty o' winnd drag tha lead is fillernethed wi' near frighterfightness

Gary Dobbs/Jack Martin said...

That is very Joyce-like though, you must admit.

benbridges said...

Just tried out the writing analysis program and was told I write like J K Rowling. High praise indeed ... but it would have been better had I been told I write like David Whitehead!

Cullen Gallagher said...

I was told I write like Stephen King. Hey, we're both from Maine! Maybe it is something in the water.

Randy Johnson said...

I tried this with the opening line of an old story (never sold) and it said I write like Stephen King.

Don't mind that. Now if I could only get checks like he does...

Barbara Martin said...

Mine said that I write like Margaret Atwood. That gives me the impetus to keep trying.

VAPING IS SAFER THAN BREATHING

 The UK's new tax on vaping which will come into force in 2026 is not only immoral but patently insane, and will hit those reformed smok...