Wednesday 1 October 2008

EDGE: TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS AMERICAN


Ten thousand dollars American
(US TITLE - Ten Grand)
George G. Gilman
NEL 1972
Original cover price 30p


This is the second in the Edge series and although I'd read it many many years ago I still enjoyed it immensely. But then I enjoy all of the Edge books - I'm a sucker for these all action, violent, blackly comic westerns.

This story follows on directly from the previous book and we find Edge now serving as sheriff of Peaceville but when he goes in pursuit of a vicious gang led by El Matador he is beaten, robbed and left for dead.


Cue - a bloodthirsty quest for revenge with Edge slashing throats, blasting chests and basically kicking arse big time and always with a grin and a grim one-liner at hand.

You know what you get with an Edge book and even this early in the series Gilman had the formula tuned to perfection.

8 comments:

Chris said...

Which do you prefer...Edge, or that "Claw" one?

Man, I'd give anything to get a copy of one of those "Claw" books for less than an arm and a leg, cost-wise. They look amazing! Do they really deliver as much as it looks like they do?

Gary Dobbs/Jack Martin said...

Not familiar with the Claw stuff. What is this?

Anonymous said...

I'm just finishing up Edge 11. But I jump around in the series. Still I have twenty one of them still to be read and of course Two Of A Kind with Steele.

-Bruce

Chris said...

Hmm...maybe I read about that somewhere else? They are these Westerns about a man with a claw hand. I swear I read about it on one of your posts back in July.

Gary Dobbs/Jack Martin said...

No not me. You've got me all intrigued now.

Charles Gramlich said...

I've got a bunch of these. I once picked up about 50 for a pittance at a book sale, but I haven't fallen in love with the couple I've read. They're not bad but I don't have the urge to make a steady diet of them.

Steve M said...

Claw as by Matthew Kirk was the last series to come from the Piccadilly Cowboys. In fact the author behind these books was Angus Wells.

If you like the other PC western series I'd say you'd like this one too. There are six books and the first explains how he lost the hand and built his claw to replace it. Of course the claw is used many times in his quest for revenge which runs over the course of the first three or four books.

Here's the titles:
1. Day of Fury
2. Vengeance Road
3. The Wild Hunt
4. Yellow Stripe
5. Blood for Blood
6. Death in Red

Chris said...

Steve, thanks!

VAPING IS SAFER THAN BREATHING

 The UK's new tax on vaping which will come into force in 2026 is not only immoral but patently insane, and will hit those reformed smok...