Friday 28 November 2008

FRIDAY'S FORGOTTEN BOOKS -JACK'S RETURN HOME AKA GET CARTER - TED LEWIS


Filmed three times, most famously as Get Carter in 1971 with Michael Caine in his all time signature role, the novel was based on the real life one armed bandit murders.

The novel centres on small time hustler Jack Carter returning home to Doncaster to investigate the death of his brother whom he hasn't seen in a great many years. Carter finds himself entering a twilight world of prostitution, gambling dens, psychotic gangsters and underworld enforcers.

The crime bosses worry that Jack's snooping into his brother's death will upset their delicate operations and soon the contract it out - Get Carter.


It's a shame this book has been largely forgotten because of the great success of the original film based on it. It really is British Noir done well - that narrative is as tough as old nails and the world of the American Gangster novel is successfully transplanted to suburban Britain.

8 comments:

Ray said...

Good reminder - we all remember the film but not the book which is a great piece of fiction.
I think part of the problem is that we made a number of films during the sixties and into the early seventies that were based on books to the point that films can be recalled but not the likes of Barstow, Braine, Storey, Lewis etc wrote the books in the first place.

Gary Dobbs/Jack Martin said...

Very much agree Ray - I myself only became aware of this book a couple of years ago when it was replublished as part of a NOVELS THAT BECAME ICONIC FILMS SERIES. I also got Alfie.

David Cranmer said...

It's a title that seems to live on... I enjoyed the forgotten history as well. I just read about Angus Sibbet for the first time.

Barrie said...

I'm so out of it that I haven't even seen the movie! Fun for me--a recommended book AND movie! Thank you.

Charles Gramlich said...

This is a perfect selection. I didn't even realize this was a book. I liked the movie OK so will have to check it out.

Chris said...

I know there's the original film with Caine, and a remake with Stallone--what's the third?

Nice review, as per usual. :)

Gary Dobbs/Jack Martin said...

Chris - it was also filmed in 1972 under the title, The Hitman

Anonymous said...

One of the few books I've tried to find over here with no luck ever. At some point I'll break down and order it from Amazon UK

VAPING IS SAFER THAN BREATHING

 The UK's new tax on vaping which will come into force in 2026 is not only immoral but patently insane, and will hit those reformed smok...