Friday 27 August 2010

WESTERN NOVELS WANTED - DEAD OR ALIVE, so to speak!!!

A few days ago I was offered the post of Chief Editor on the new western line from Solstice Publishing - I had to think about this long and hard because I was worried it would impact on my own writing but at the end of the day it was always the proud boast of the Tainted Archive that we were spearheading the western revival. Well, is there a better way of doing this than presiding over and creating a western line that we hope will be second to none in the eBook stakes?

There's also the point that I have another western novel, The Ballad of Delta Rose out with Hale next year and that Arkansas Smith 2 is virtually complete, so that puts me two westerns in hand. So maybe I have got the time to devote to this.

You know the more I think about it the more excited I become - I want to make Solstice the place to go for western fiction, a publishing house with a list that is not afraid to push the boundaries of the genre, an exciting, vibrant list. The line's  already been given a cutting start with the Edge series (and yes it will be appearing on Amazon very soon but more on that tomorrow) .

I'm both excited and daunted by this new avenue I am about to walk, but I know one thing that whatever skills I do not possess I will develop, and the one thing I have got that nobody could deny is an undying love and understanding of the genre.

And so to kick off I announce that the western line is now taking submissions but (AND THIS IS IMPORTANT) do not send any digital files to me direct but rather use my spanking new Solstice email  inbox at - westernsubmissions.solstice@live.com

We are looking for both traditional and non-traditional westerns between 40,000 - 90,000 words, though the ideal length is somewhere between the two . We want good stories with good characters - to be grabbed from the first page and dragged through the entire story. At the moment I am building a team of editors around the list so initially decisions on books sent could be a little slow but I will endeavour to let anyone who submits work have a decision within a month, hopefully, in time,we will cut this down to a couple of days.

So come on  - Solstice, riding the digital range.

5 comments:

Laurie Powers said...

Fantastic - congratulations, Gary. This is very exciting! Can't wait to see the results of this.

Paul Bishop said...

Wow! This is great new. Congratulations! I have no doubt you will do a great job. Your love of the genre already has you in the saddle and riding hard . . .

Malcolm aka Cody Wells said...

Congratulations, Gary. This is an exciting time for you and the genre. I’m sure you’ll do a great job.

David Cranmer said...

Yep, congrats! And good luck.

Nik Morton said...

This could be the resurgence everyone keeps hinting at... Let's hope so. Congratulations, Gary!

VAPING IS SAFER THAN BREATHING

 The UK's new tax on vaping which will come into force in 2026 is not only immoral but patently insane, and will hit those reformed smok...