Tuesday 24 August 2010

Yesterday's Papers - Western Magazine

This British magazine was published by IPC Publications from 1980 - 1981. I can't believe I was not aware of this magazine back in the day. I would have been around fifteen when it came out and would certainly have bought it but I can't recall ever seeing it. Maybe the distribution was not wonderful and it didn't make it into my local newsagents. Or then again 70p could have been a little steep for me back in the day.

In fact this issue which I came across in a secondhand shop is the first ever issue I've seen. Apparently the magazine was short lived - only four were ever published. I found them all on Ebay and have just won the auction so I'll be waiting eagerly for the postman over the next few days.

The magazine is a western fan's dream - it contains articles relating to the old west, film, book and even music reviews as well as short fiction. This particular issue contains a short story by Edge author, George G. Gilman as well as Hart the Regulator by John Harvey and an extract from The Return of Sudden by Fredrick H. Christian. Incidentally the Gilman story, Adam Steele Bad Business at Newville will be posted here on the Archive this weekend.

On the non fiction front there' a great feature on the Sharps rifle - the gun favoured by buffalo hunters, outlaws and lawmen everywhere. In fact the Sharps, along with the Colt must rate among the most iconic Wild West weapons.



There's also a detailed article on Miss Sure Shot herself - Annie Oakley. There's also a fun letters page with a £5 reward for the letter deemed the best of the month by the editor, one Dennis Winston.

Clint Eastwood is the cover star and there is an article by John B. Harvey, one of the Piccadilly Cowboys, looking at his career up to this date - it's an entertaining piece where the author bemoans the fact that a feminist friend felt he was sexist because there was a poster of Clint Eastwood in his home. An interesting point of the article is of how little the author seems to regard the Dirty Harry movies and how highly he rates the westerns.




It's a shame this magazine didn't go on longer - man, I wish something like this was published now. It's absolutely excellent - I notice in the credits that David Whitehead was a consultant - is that the David Whitehead who writes for, among others, the Black Horse range? Michael Stotter, which is another name I know, was also involved.




Still in a sense I've got three new issues to look forward to when that eBay lot arrives through my letterbox and into my eager hands.




3 comments:

Old Knudsen said...

The picture reminds me of the cover of the TV Times when The Outlaw Josey Wales was shown on the telly.

Unknown said...

That is indeed "our" David Whitehead, who with Mike Stotter was responsible for the original GGG Appreciation Society. Why not ask Dave to let you have a copy of his memoir of all this? It would make a good Archive post.

Unknown said...

How much is a good cond Western Magazine Jan 1981 issue 4. worth approx?

VAPING IS SAFER THAN BREATHING

 The UK's new tax on vaping which will come into force in 2026 is not only immoral but patently insane, and will hit those reformed smok...