Sunday 8 February 2009

what is WILD WEST MONDAY

New readers have been emailing asking just what exactly is Wild West Monday.

Well to put it simply - It's when western fans across the globe visit their local bookshops and libraries to enquire about them stocking western fiction. You may think this is useless but it's not - if enough people do this worldwide then it will be noticed.

Come on folks let's use the tremendous power of the Internet to create the demand.

At the moment we are in a situation where bookshops control the market (a select amount of buyers chose the titles they think we want to read ) and they seem to think all we want to read are massive tomes with more padding that substance.

The days of cheap paperbacks that existed to entertain, excite and delight are long gone. Strange when those are the reasons we started reading in the first place.

But it doesn't have to be so - so come on get involved, hit the bookshops, hit the libraries. All of us on MARCH 2nd.

Come on get involved.





THE TAINTED ARCHIVE - SPEARHEADING THE WESTERN REVIVAL


11 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Well pawdner, I mosey a mite slow so I'm a goin' to start moseying today and I should make it by Monday.

Gary Dobbs/Jack Martin said...

Arkansas Slim would walk over hellfire and brinstone to support wild west monday

Cullen Gallagher said...

I'm in. This is a great idea.

James Reasoner said...

Your enthusiasm and dedication to this effort are inspiring, Gary.

Anonymous said...

This is a great idea. If every western fan in the country did something, bookshops erc would have to take notice.

Andrea

Gary Dobbs/Jack Martin said...

Thanks for the support guys - it only takes a little effort.

Gary Dobbs/Jack Martin said...

And good new is that TRUE WEST MAGAZINE, the print magazine is linking to the Archive's Wild West Monday initiative on its web site. The movement gains momentum

NAVAL LANGA said...

Your article reminded me a film I had seen in my school days: It was like, How The West Was Won.

Naval Langa
SHORT STORIES by NAVAL LANGA
PAINTINGS GALLERIES

Unknown said...

I made a stop at my local book store, which is fairly small but does have a tiny western section. They only carry L'Amour and Zane Gray and maybe a couple others, but haven't stocked anything new for a while. So I aksed them if they could order new westerns. She jotted it down so I have she does. I told her I wrote some and they were abvailable in large print and gave her my penname and one of my cards. So we'll see.

Loren Teague said...

This is a great idea. How about also mentioning too that you don't have to visit your bookshop but can phone them as well. This is handy for those who can't get out into town for various reasons or those who are disabled and are housebound who love reading.

Anonymous said...

Oh Boy - Gosh - Gee -and all that. Wild West Monday. May i wear my H&R 9 shot revolver on my hip when I go into my local book store and demand more westerns ? Just kidding. But I will definitely be participating as I am almost out of westerns to read.
Trelawney Gal

VAPING IS SAFER THAN BREATHING

 The UK's new tax on vaping which will come into force in 2026 is not only immoral but patently insane, and will hit those reformed smok...