Wednesday 4 February 2009

western author Ray 's (Jack Giles") top 10 western books


Hi Gary,
You asked for other people to
mention their top 10 westerns.
Mainly because the benchmark
books like Owen Wister's 'The
Virginian'; Jack Schaeffer's
'Shane'; Zane Grey's 'Riders Of The
Purple Sage' and Alan LeMay's
'The Searchers' are virtually in
everyone's top book list my list
is not guaged that way. 'It goes
without saying...' is the
term that comes to mind.
Here is my list and number
1 is my number 1 and if I was stranded on a
desert island with only one western novel -
then that would be it.

1. Horn Silver by Frank C Robertson
2. Warlock by Oakley Hall
3. Chuka by Richard Jessup
4. Night Of The Tiger by Al Dewlen
5. The First Fast Draw by Louis L'Amour
6. Monte Walsh by Jack Schaeffer
7. The Travels of Jamie McPheeters by Robert Lewis Taylor
8. The Vengeance Trail by Amelia Bean
9. The Foragers by Ben Haas
10.Wolf Head Crossing by James Reasoner


Horn Silver I have done as a forgotten books and over the next three weeks
I will do three from the above list.
That's it.
Ray

Thanks to Ray of the Broken Trail for the above list

3 comments:

David Cranmer said...

Many books here I haven't read. Thanks Ray.

Matthew P. Mayo said...

Hi Ray and Gary,
After the mention the other day about "The Travels of Jaimie McPheeters" I looked locally for a copy--always my preference--but didn't find one. So I jumped on Amazon and ordered a used copy. Can't wait to read it!

Cheers,
Matt

Anthony said...

Hi ray please get in touch with me need to chat

VAPING IS SAFER THAN BREATHING

 The UK's new tax on vaping which will come into force in 2026 is not only immoral but patently insane, and will hit those reformed smok...