Thursday 10 June 2010

Football Fever is about to strike

It's not often the Archive does sport - skinny Welsh guys don't do sport. It's not something we excell at and every sporting event I'm been involved in's ended in disaster - I'm still smarting from the time I joined the gym and they gave me a vest and my whole body went through the arm hole. And I still have nightmares over breaking an ankle during the egg and spoon race one school's sport day. But the World Cup kicks off tonight and football is much more important than life so expect some football centric posts over the coming weeks.

Uruguay meets France tonight at Cape Town and my monies on France for that one. And at Johannesburg South Africa will meet Mexico. But the big game for me will be tomorrow when England meets the USA -of course I'm going to be rooting for England in that one but looking at the overall group (group C ) I think England and USA both have a better than good chance of coming through the group. The other two teams in the group Slovenia and Algeria are hardly red hot teams. No offence to these guys, though - I'm sure they all fill a vest better than I do.

Not so long back the USA had, what we would term, a piss poor side but these days that is not so and the US goalkeeper is awesome. Mind you there are rumours in the press that he has a bad shoulder. Now I want England to win here but the USA are my second team of choice. I'd love to see them do well and I'll be cheering them on every time they play against anyone besides England.

So come on USA surprise us - the team were considered minnows until they reached the final 8 in 2002, beating footballing (ok soccer if we must) Portugal along the way. The US are minnows no longer - Indeed, during a South African winter only 12 months ago they were good enough to overcome mighty Spain to reach the final of the Confederations Cup, albeit a result which relied to a large extent on the impenetrable last line of Yankee defence: goalkeeper Tim Howard.

So come on America - let's kick ass, except when your playing England of course.


My prediction for the England V USA game - 2-1 to England.

3 comments:

Paul Bishop said...

Like the new look for the blog. Can't wait for the World Cup to start (see my current forgotten books post) . . . Come on, England!

the U.S. is game, but their defense is very shakey. They'll be lucky to make it out of the group.

Anonymous said...

男人有了外遇,但是他不想離婚
外遇情人面前,他可以享受著年輕戀愛般的美好
在回歸家庭時刻,他可以享受著老婆對他無微不至的照顧
在同事朋友面前,他可以享受著眾人對他的忌妒與羨慕
男人有了外遇,但是他不想離婚,他只想自私的擁有一切

Ray said...

Taking into consideration that England is fielding a geriatric team - I mean Ferdinand is already out with a knee injury - I think that the youthful enthusiasm of the Yank team might just win through.
In the event that England head their group it is likely that that their quarter final match will be against Australia - and you know how England fares against them.
I might fly the flag but the team selection does not inspire me.

VAPING IS SAFER THAN BREATHING

 The UK's new tax on vaping which will come into force in 2026 is not only immoral but patently insane, and will hit those reformed smok...