Wednesday 14 January 2009

THE TARNISHED STAR ARTWORK



It's an exciting moment for a debut novelist - the email came from the publicity dept of my publisher this morning with a JPG attached for the cover art of my forthcoming novel.

I like it - it's very retro. And kind of reminds me of the Hard Case Crime cover images - without any cleavage of course.

Seriously though it's a very striking image and the lone cowboy does indeed fit with the hero, Cole Masters - even down to wearing the correct coloured shirt. And those criss-crossed gun-belts look awesome.



What does everyone else think?


Check back later for an interview with the bestselling crime writer, Mark Billingham.

13 comments:

Jo Walpole said...

It's very clean looking. I like it. I still think it looks like you. You didn't model for it, did you? ;-)
Jo

Gary Dobbs/Jack Martin said...

No but they are my jeans

mybillcrider said...

Looks good. Very pulp-like, and I love the pulps.

Unknown said...

It's excellent! You're right about the retro look. The hat, the lean face, remind me of old western movies and the original UK covers of Clarence E. Mulford books.

I also agree with Joanne that the character has a certain likeness to your photos.

Do you know who the artist is?

David Cranmer said...

I couldn't agree more. That's a sharp cover. Congrats!

Ray said...

Excellent - have to agree it sure looks like you.

Check back with the Group - "Where Legends Ride" is about to ride towards volume 2.

Charles Gramlich said...

I like it too. It has a pulp look to it.

Gary Dobbs/Jack Martin said...

Chap - no idea who the artist is at all - Helen from the publicity team sent me the JPG of the cover. It's got that special feel to me because it's the first...of many, I hope.

Matthew P. Mayo said...

Nice cover, indeed. I like this artist's style.

Congrats to you, Gary!


Cheers,
Matt

James Reasoner said...

That's a really nice cover. I agree with the other comments about the pulp look to it.

Gary Dobbs/Jack Martin said...

James - I love the pulp look myself - this kind of retro look is very much in vogue at the moment. I'd love to be associated with pulp style writing so it's thumbs up from me. I think I'll get some T-Shirts printed up. LOL

Barrie said...

I like it. Seriously like it. Glad you're happy too.

Sepiru Chris said...

Its a pretty great cover.

VAPING IS SAFER THAN BREATHING

 The UK's new tax on vaping which will come into force in 2026 is not only immoral but patently insane, and will hit those reformed smok...