Tuesday 15 September 2009

LION 21ST Feb 1970

I only vaguely remember Lion comic - it were a bit before me time, you see - and I was surprised when I checked Wiki to see that it ran from 1952 - 1974. At it's demise it was, as was the tradition with ailing British comics, merged with a stronger selling title. This it merged with Valiant which itself was swallowed up by Battle a couple of years later.






This issue is from 1970 and features a cover story starring wrestlers, Stringbean and Hambone. The first story inside the covers is Carson's Cubs which is a football story about a team managed by Joe Carson. Next we have Spellbinder and that is followed by our cover stars Stringbean and Hambone. Sports strips were always popular in British comics but I can't think of another story with wrestling as it sport - no doubt someone out there will know of a few.















Zip Nolan of the Highway Patrol follows and then we are back in Saxon England for a story entitled, Flame of the Forest.













Then from the past into the future for a SF strip entitled, The Fugitive from Planet Scor - it seems to deal with a plot to destroy the Earth. Ahh such great times.










General Johnny is up next and this is followed by Paddy Payne warrior of the seas. Robot Archie is next and I remember Archie from the Valiant which I used to read from time to time. Another sports story follows with Oddball Oates and then we have Dan Dare. I was surprised to find Dare here as I thought he'd only ever appeared in The Eagle and 2000AD before getting his own comic years later, but then I discovered that the Eagle had merged with Lion a few months previous of this issue. The Eagle is mentioned nowhere on the cover of this issue so obviously the title had been faded out. I suspect that Dan Dare was the only character to survive thus far.




The comic ends with Mowser the Cat which again I remember reading from various

No comments:

VAPING IS SAFER THAN BREATHING

 The UK's new tax on vaping which will come into force in 2026 is not only immoral but patently insane, and will hit those reformed smok...